Last updated: 10/30/2018
We know that your personal information is important to you and we are committed to ensuring it is kept secure and used carefully. Below you will find a short summary of how and why we collect your data, who we share it with, and what we’re doing to make sure your data is safe and secure. You will also find information about your privacy rights.
If you want to navigate directly to a particular section of this policy please click on the relevant link below.
- What does Banyan Hill do?
- What personal information does Banyan Hill collect and why?
- Who does Banyan Hill share my personal information with?
- Legal basis for processing personal information
- How does Banyan Hill keep my personal information secure?
- International data transfers
- Data retention
- Your data protection rights
- Do you collect sales tax?
- How to contact us
What does Banyan Hill do?
Banyan Hill is a privately owned publishing company based in Delray Beach, Florida, USA. We publish newsletters which provide insight and advice on investing. You can learn more about Banyan Hill in the About Us section of our Website.
What personal information does Banyan Hill collect and why?
We collect information in order to allow us to provide the publications you have subscribed to, and to personalize and improve your experience of our services, Website, and communications with you. All such information is held on secure servers.
We only use personal data you have given us or that we have collected from you when you visit our Website and order forms. We do not obtain personal information from or sell it to third parties. We sometimes share your personal information with third parties, but only to provide your subscriptions to you or to personalize and improve your experience with us. We never release your personal information to others for their mailing or marketing purposes.
The personal information that we may collect about you broadly falls into two categories:
- Information that you provide
We may ask you to provide personal information in order to provide our services to you. This includes asking you to provide your contact details to deliver subscriptions to you or to register an account with us so you can access the subscriber-only areas of our Website. It also includes asking you to provide payment information so you can pay for subscriptions or use a one-click order process.
The personal information you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are being asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point you are asked to provide it.
- Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Website and order forms, we may collect certain information automatically from your device.
The data we collect may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website or order form, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
We collect this information so we can better understand the visitors who come to our Website [and look at our order forms] and what content may be of interest to them. Using the information allows us to improve the quality and relevance of our Website and services.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar technology.
Who does Banyan Hill share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to reputable third party service providers who provide additional data processing services, for example, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, and assisting with the processing of credit card and direct debit payments. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. In addition, they must process the personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws;
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, or similar other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, or (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights; and
- to any other person with your consent.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the information concerned and the context in which we collect it.
We will normally collect personal information from you where:
- we need the personal information to perform a contract with you (for example, your email address when you subscribe to a free or paid service);
- the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your rights;
- we have your consent to do so (for example, to receive marketing emails from us about another publisher’s publications or services which we think might be of interest to you); or
- We need the personal information to comply with our legal obligations (for example, our tax and audit requirements and other regulatory obligations)
We fund our free daily editorial emails, Sovereign Investor Daily and The Winning Investor Daily by advertising our services and those of other group companies (occasionally we may carry advertising for a third party service). There are two to three small ads in each editorial email, and three to five times a week we send separate promotional emails. By subscribing to the free emails, you are consenting to receive these promotions (we cannot send a free email alone without the promotional emails). There is an unsubscribe link in each of these emails and you can unsubscribe at any time.
If we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests, this will normally be to operate and improve our services, Website, and communications. It would also include responding to your questions, undertaking marketing, or detecting or preventing illegal activities. We may have other legitimate interests and, if appropriate, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
How does Banyan Hill keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Where we share data with third parties, we ensure that your data will be kept secure and will not be provided or sold to another party.
International data transfers
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- If we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Do you collect sales tax?
Banyan Hill is registered in the states below and is therefore required to collect sales tax on items sold to customers in these states, to the extent the items are taxable. Whether or not an item is taxable depends upon the laws in effect in the state.
- New Jersey
- North Dakota
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
**Alabama Tax Disclosure Sovereign Offshore Services, LLC has collected the Simplified Sellers Use Tax on transaction(s) for Alabama customers. The tax will be remitted on the customer’s behalf to the Alabama Department of Revenue. The company’s Alabama account number is R009872653.
Sales tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of each item. Depending upon the state’s tax laws, the total selling price of the item may include shipping and handling charges.
Although tax is not required to be collected in states where Banyan Hill is not registered, this does not necessarily mean the transaction is not subject to sales tax. Purchases may be subject to use tax which must be remitted directly to the state by the customer purchasing the item. Purchases are not exempt from sales tax solely because they are purchased on the internet, by catalog or by other remote means. Please contact the tax authorities in your state for additional information about your responsibilities for remitting use tax. Links to all the states’ tax administrative agencies can be found at https://www.taxadmin.org/state-tax-agencies. Sales tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of each item. Depending upon the state’s tax laws, the total selling price of the item may include shipping and handling charges.
Please note that amount of estimated tax appearing on an order may differ from the sales taxes ultimately charged at the time of credit card authorization.
A sales tax rate calculator can accessed from the link below. You should use the Use Tax rate when calculating the tax to include on your order payment. If you are unsure if the product you are purchasing is taxable, please contact Customer Service. Please note that we do not own or control information contained on this website and we are merely providing the link for your convenience.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us by clicking here.